Thursday, October 20

The gentleman's detour: Balmoral boot.

While I'm mostly posting about making women's shoes, I've still a soft spot for gentlemen's shoes. Right now, HBO's incredible series about an american town and it's villain leader, the Boardwalk Empire inspires the hell outta me. It's filled with glorious dresses and shoes. And atmosphere. So I've had an itch to make a pair of balmoral boots for myself. Balmoral is basically an oxford cut boot, and dates back to the victorian 19th century. It's still a part of men's fashion, though maybe more concentrated on the more expensive dress shoe category.

Niina and Saku are coming for a visit in Helsinki on saturday, and I'm currently quite horrified and uncertain of the mockups's fit. Actually I'm quite sure she won't even get them on. Oh well, It's all the more experience for me ;) Also, tomorrow I'll order a pair of lasts for those knee high black heels.

First some shaping of the lasts to my measurements.

And some pattern drawing. It's quite a simple model but does have it's own tricks to make it fit the last.

After drawing patterns, cutting leathers, sewing uppers, making the insole, lasting and building of  a fake sole, they came out like this. Looking groovy!




They're a bit funny looking on me because of their length. Maybe I'll make em shorter?

2 comments:

  1. onpas komiat kengät wow! Suomalaisten miesten näkisin erittäin mielelläni kävelevän tuollaisilla niiden perussämpylöiden sijaan :D

    ja no panic, ei saapaskaunottarilla ole mikään kiire :) Huomenna nähdään!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiitoskiitos :D Suomalaisten miesten pitäisi vaatia että pomarfin lykkäisi jotain enemmän miehekkäämpää, perinteistä ja ennen kaikkea laadukkaampaa ulos. Tekisivät palveluksen ja paremman vaikutuksen kuin se tökö "kotimainen kenkä" mainos joka on pyörinyt telkussa.

    Tässä on tämmöistä luonnollista jännitystä kun on erittäin epävarma. Kyseessä kuitenkin ensimmäiset korkkarit, so there's so many things that can go wrong ;)

    Ja kaikille tiedoksi vielä että yllä olevat popot ovat sovituskengät, eivätkä valmiit.

    ReplyDelete